Sunday 12 June 2011

Yummy Courgette Cake!

Yummy Courgette Cake!

Well I got some courgettes which were on offer which really needed using as soon as possible. Usually I would use courgettes in pasta dishes but I was looking for something different and then I stumbled across a recipe for courgette cake! I remember a colleague of mine making Zucchini Bread a while ago and although I wasn't too sure about it I found that it tasted lovely.

I know the thought of cougettes in a cake doesn't sound too great but I thought I would try it out anyway and I was more than happy with this easy recipe and the end result!

Because I was feeling too lazy to pop down to Tesco I left out the cream cheese topping but I imagine this would go with the cake perfectly. The cake was amazing and very moist. Perfect.

Ingredients:

250g courgettes (grated)
2 large eggs
125ml vegetable oil
150g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Cream Cheese topping:
200g full fat cream cheese
juice of 1 lime
100g sieved icing sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4
2. Grate the courgettes with the coarse side of a grater, then turn them into a sieve over the sink to remove excess water
3. Beat the eggs, oil and sugar in bowl until nice and creamy
4. Sieve in flour, bicarb and baking powder and beat until well combined
5. Stir in courgette
6. Pour into tins and bake for 30 minutes until slightly browned and firm to touch
7. To make the cream cheese icing - mix the ingredients in a bowl, placing in the fridge if you like to firm up then spread over the cake

..The cake was super moist and freezes very well wrapped tightly in clingfilm, then a freezer bag or two




The above picture is mixing the ingredients together - steps 3 and 4.








Hope the pictures help and I do hope you try it out :) let me know what you think! And have you made any other unusual vegetable cakes before?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...